Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Rebirth

I have the day off - hallelujah!  It is much needed.  I am reminded of a story of a group of white explorers traveling with a small group of native people in the wilderness of Africa.  The white people wondered with irritation why the group of native men kept stopping and sitting for no apparent reason while there was much territory to cover.  When asked, the native men replied that they were waiting for their spirits to catch up.
Today I walked up the hilly, still bare woods near my home.  I sat down upon the earth and heard the birds singing with such zest and energy.  My face turned to the sun and I found myself laying upon the soft ground.  I was waiting for my spirit to catch up.  My whole body sunk down.  I realized how desperately I needed to do this.  Somehow I have become part of the frantic pace that I vowed I would never succumb to.  Work, caring for the home, a car breakdown, spring sports, spring sports, and more spring sports have turned me into one of those poor frenetic mothers I used to pity.  How essential  to pull away to a quiet place as Jesus did, to center, to slow, to pray, to receive the energy of the Spirit.  I could feel the temptation to get up before I was ready, my mind already racing ahead to my tasks for the day awaiting me.  I felt sad I could not allow myself this simple, brief luxury and necessity of spirit.  Then I pulled myself back to the sun, the warmth, the birds.  I heard a thrush sing, the first of the spring.  My soul felt peace and I wanted to share this moment with each of you and encourage you to take care of your soul today in some great or small way.  It is what we all need.   Blessings,  Kathryn

No comments:

Post a Comment