Friday, September 21, 2012

Slowing down and giving thanks

Today I get to slow down.  Ahhh...  I went for a run with my dog Sundance.  I will hang out laundry to dry above my woodstove.  I will make pesto to put on pizza or sandwiches from my basil flowerpot in the backyard.  I breathe deeply.  As school begins I get more time to myself which is a blessing.  My daughters are very busy with school, so I make effort to enjoy and give thanks for every moment shared together.  I consciously look into the eyes of my child and listen to her ramblings about this or that real or imagined happening.  When I am at the hospital with patients, I hear how quickly life passes.  Is it possible to embrace every moment, knowing there are only so many times I can kiss my kids, tell my husband I love him, enjoy an apple from the orchard, breathe in the fresh scent of air?  I want to live fully.  I want to give thanks for every person and instance in my life - those which are light and lovely, and those that are more dark and challenging.
Tonight is Friday night.  We will celebrate with a special dinner of grilled turkey and homemade pesto sandwiches and watch television (a rare treat for our family).  We will slow down together and enjoy the open spaces.  We all need time to be, to pause from our frantic busy-ness.  To gather in to ourselves and find center.  My prayer for you is that you have time to slow down today as well.  To connect with your loved ones, your self, and God.  Blessings,  Kathryn

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear that today. Wanting to slow down in my spirt each and every moment.

    ReplyDelete