Monday, January 7, 2013

Sharing Wonder

We had a wonderful Christmas break.  Despite the fact that 3 of the 4 of our family were sick with stomach flu then influenza.   What was wonderful was slowing down, playing, being together.... much needed time in our busy, busy, busy!!! world.  My desire was to foster wonder in my kids over the holiday.   We did this in several ways.  Ofcourse our tree with lights and decorations inspires wonder, as well as the many delicious foods we made together - gingerbread people, savory meat pies, cream filled cupcakes.   In our family we have told the story of St. Nicolas and what he did for people in need.  We carry on the tradition with a secret santa operation which involves secrecy under the cloak of darkness, crawling on our bellies through the snow and lots of frantic running.  It is very exciting for all of us, especially the kids.  We also decorate a tree in the forest for the animals with peanut butter dipped pine cones rolled in bird seed.   When I see my children's faces filled with pure joy and excitement, I give thanks that we are honoring traditions which fill them with wonder.  We are like the magi coming to the stable to see the babe, caught by surprise at the joy of God.

It is the simple things which return to me which bring meaning to our lives.  So much distracts us, fills us with noise, consumes our thinking.  I mourn today as we go back to the routine of school and all of the activities which demand our family time.  I will continue to fight to make time for us to be together, to play a game, to turn off the electronics and be together.  Our culture does not value family togetherness, but I do, because I know how rich our loved ones make our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment